Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The end of the road.

How time flies. My job as an English teacher is complete, and in reflection, I've concluded that the Chinese work too hard. Whenever I asked students to recap their weekends, the usual response was homework and sleep, and maybe a computer game in between if they're lucky. When 72 hours of your week is dedicated to formal education, you don't have time for many extracurricular activities.

Despite the workoholic mentality, there are several entertaining aspects about education in China that I'll miss. These are best experienced in a visual format, so what follows are some video highlights of my teaching experience, concluding with a slide show of my students, coworkers, and campus. Ive thoroughly enjoyed myself here, almost to the point of not wanting to leave, but as one of my students commented, "I live like a bird," meaning its about time for me to head south to warmer pastures.

Happy New Year...

Every morning, at 7 O'clock on the dot, all the youngin's engage in their high energy morning exercise:



The high school kids have their own equivalent, being summoned to the athletic field by what I think is the national anthem blaring through the loudspeakers.


Every day, all of my students have periodic breaks between classes to do eye exercises. They perform a routine of self eye massage, to the soothing soundtrack of the numbers 1-8.



With rested eyes, they're ready for musical chairs...



Xue Xiao

3 comments:

ebeth said...

Nice mention of the Warriors on the blackboard - I love your effort to shamelessly convert the youth of China into Golden State fans.

guenevere said...

this is lovely. and it really captures the heart of Xin Shi Ji, aerobics and ping pong! (Coco's got a crazy look in her eye...)

shilpa said...

Face massages! Great idea. Happy New Year, Gino!